Lesson note on Direct and Indirect speech basic Six and five.

 Class: Primary Six


Subject: English Language


Topic: Direct and Indirect Speech


Duration: 40 Minutes


Term: Third Term


Week: 7


Topic: Direct and Indirect Speech

 

Sub-topic: Changing Sentences from Direct to Indirect Speech

 

Learning Area / Focus:

Understanding the meaning, differences, and changes that occur when converting direct speech to indirect speech.


Learning Aid: Flashcards showing “I am hungry” and “She said she was hungry.”


Instructional Objectives (At the end of the lesson, pupils should be able to):


By the end of the lesson, pupils should be able to:


1. Define Direct and Indirect Speech.



2. Identify sentences written in Direct and Indirect Speech.



3. Mention common word and tense changes used when converting.



4. Change given sentences correctly from Direct to Indirect Speech.



5. Use reporting verbs correctly in reported speech.


Previous Knowledge:


  • Pupils have already learned about tenses, pronouns, and quotation marks in English grammar.

 Instructional Materials:

  • Flashcards showing examples of direct and indirect sentences


  • Chart showing word changes (e.g., am → was, today → that day)


  • Whiteboard and markers


  • Picture of a person talking (to illustrate “direct speech”)


 Reference Materials:


  • Primary 6 English Language Textbook


  • Oxford Primary English Grammar


  • Teacher’s English Grammar Note


 Entry Behaviour:


  • The pupils can identify when someone is speaking directly or being reported.


Lesson Presentation:


The teacher greets the pupils and asks:

“If I say, ‘Haneefah said, “I am hungry”, what am I doing?”


Pupils respond that the teacher is telling us exactly what Haneefah said.


The teacher introduces the topic: Direct and Indirect Speech.


     Meaning of Direct and Indirect Speech 


Direct Speech:


It is when we report someone’s exact words.


The words are put inside quotation marks (“ ”).

🖋️ Example: Aisha said, “I am reading.”



Indirect Speech:


It is when we report what someone said without using their exact words.


We do not use quotation marks.

🖋️ Example: Aisha said that she was reading.



Teacher explains:


Direct speech shows exact words.


Indirect speech changes the tense, pronouns, and time words.


       Changes from Direct to Indirect Speech 


A.                 Pronoun Changes


Direct Indirect


I he / she

me him / her

we they

our their

you I / we / they (depending on who spoke)



B.                   Tense Changes


Direct Indirect


am                                    is /was

are were

have                               has /had

will would

shall should

can could

may might

do                                  does /did



C. Time and Place Words


Direct Speech Indirect Speech


today that day

tomorrow the next day / following day

yesterday the previous day / day before

now then

here there

this that

these those

next week the following week

last year the previous year



D. Reporting Verbs


said, told, asked, replied, warned, advised, promised, explained



🖋️ Example:

Direct: “I will come tomorrow,” said Musa.

Indirect: Musa said he would come the next day.


Lesson Sequence:

Step One: Teacher introduces the new lesson 


Step Two: Teacher revises the previous lesson 


Step Three: She writes the following questions on the board while expecting a valid answers from the pupils --👇 


Question  & Expected Answer


Define Direct Speech Reporting someone’s exact words using quotation marks.

Define Indirect Speech Reporting someone’s words without quotation marks.

Change: “Ali said, ‘I will come tomorrow.’” Ali said he would come the next day.

Mention two reporting verbs. said, told, asked, replied.

Change: “I am tired,” said Zainab. Zainab said she was tired.


Assessment: She gives the pupils activities to do ---

Pupils read these sentences and change them into indirect speech.


1. Tolu said, “I am happy.”



2. The teacher said, “You are late.”



3. Mother said, “We will go tomorrow.”



4. Amina said, “I can dance.”



5. The boy said, “I saw him yesterday.”


Conclusion:

  • The teacher reviews the meaning of direct and indirect speech, the major differences, and the changes in tense, pronouns, and time expressions.


  • Pupils repeat examples after the teacher.

 

Assignment


Change these sentences to indirect speech:


1. Father said, “I am busy today.”



2. They said, “We will travel next week.”



3. The teacher said, “You must study hard.”



4. He said, “I saw you here yesterday.”



5. My friend said, “I can help you now.”



    Teacher's Reflection (Smart Deen Academy)

Were the pupils able to define both forms of speech correctly?


Did they identify and convert sentences accurately?


Did the use of flashcards and examples make the lesson interesting?


What should be improved in the next lesson?



Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Crop Production: Meaning, Stages, and Importance in Agriculture

LESSON NOTE 1: MATHEMATICS (WEEK 2)

Drugs – Meaning, Types, and Examples (Synthetic and Natural)